Hemp has been around for a while — in fact, artifacts show that hemp cultivation probably started around 9,000 years ago. Here are some fascinating facts about hemp that every cannabis enthusiast should know. Sit down, make yourself a coffee or cup of CBD tea, and indulge your mind with these interesting hemp facts and uses.
- The oldest known piece of hemp fabric was found in Turkey or historic Mesopotamia .
- Beer hops, with the botanical name of Humulus genus, are closely related to hemp and belong to the same family — Cannabaceae .
- Several countries have encouraged their farmers to grow hemp at some point in history, including the UK, Canada, and the United States .
- Hemp paper is more durable than paper from wood-pulp and doesn’t turn yellow as quickly as regular paper .
- The first two copies of the Declaration of Independence are said to have been written on paper made from hemp. This is one of the most well-known facts about hemp today. 
- One acre of hemp can produce as much paper per year as four acres of trees. Making paper out of hemp could help prevent much of today’s deforestation. 
- Farmers were allowed and encouraged to grow hemp to help with the war effort during World War II. At this time, rope and textile imports had been cut off because of the conflict, and hemp was used to replace these products. Interestingly, the permits that were given to grow hemp during the war were canceled as soon as the war was over. 
- After the Chernobyl disaster, hemp plants were used with great success to remove chemicals and radioactive material from the soil. In fact, hemp may conduct phytoremediation better than any other plant — this is one of the lesser-known facts about hemp. 
- Hemp-based construction materials are resistant to pests, mold, rotting, and fire. A Japanese home that is made from hemp is still in good shape after 300 years. [9, 10, 11]
- For every ton of hemp produced, 1.63 tons of carbon is removed from the air. This makes outdoor hemp an excellent carbon-sequestering crop. 
If you loved these facts about hemp as much as we did, be sure to treat yourself to our dried hemp CBD flowers, CBD tinctures, and CBD gummies. Our hemp is grown organically and lab-tested for contents and impurities. Discover the wonders of these hemp facts and uses at HerbKing — we’re sure you’ll be glad you did!